Utilities Senior Business Analyst
Alteris is a flexible and agile consulting organization with a support network across North America, Europe, and the Asia-Pacific region. We counsel our clients on key strategic issues, leveraging our deep industry expertise, and using analytical rigor to help them make informed decisions more quickly and solve their toughest and most critical business problems.
Why Choose Alteris Consulting
We are a Management Consulting organization that brings a unique delivery model with referenceable Fortune 500 customers. Within every engagement, our team brings the knowledge base, proven tools and templates, that provide outcome-based results for our clients with predictability to guide forward capital investments with confidence.
Our consultants value working with Alteris as our team provides decades of industry best practices and lessons learned while leveraging a repository of delivery experiences. Our team has deep knowledge of industry expertise with solutions that continually produce practical, high-impacting results. No matter how complex your business problem is, we have the capabilities and experiences to deliver the answers you need to move forward.
Job Description: Utilities Senior Business Analyst
We are currently seeking a talented individual for the position with our Transmission and Distribution Utilities Practice a Senior Business Analyst.
The successful candidate work as a member of the T&D support team in partnership with Technology to support the Power Systems applications support team, providing service, support, solutions, and innovation to the business areas relying on the systems under the responsibility of the team.
We are focused on defining requirements for Operational Excellence by advancing and improving organizational processes and technologies. Identify T&D business requirements, designs functional solutions, perform process improvement activities, develop performance metrics, and prepare and maintain supporting documentation for T&D operations areas. Maintain a broad understanding of client’s business processes and practices. Monitor system, data, and process errors and take appropriate corrective action. Ensure application controls are in compliance with audit and regulatory requirements.
Job Description Utilities Senior Business Analyst
- Initiates and maintains relationships with clients to ensure processes and solutions are integrated to support business requirements.
- Combines business intelligence and technical skills with a deep understanding of customer’s needs so that they can be transformed into technological and operational requirements.
- Gathers requirements from clients for reports and enhancements, and translates those requirements into functional designs used by technical resources to develop solutions.
- Participates in “As-Is” and “To-Be” business process requirements/optimization sessions with client organizations.
- Recommends improvement of existing or proposed systems to enhance the functionality or effectiveness of solutions delivered.
- Provides internal consulting to clients on how to make the best use of functionality readily available in the current applications.
- Reviews and approves design documents from technology providers.
- Develops and/or assists in developing business process-aligned application training material. Delivers training to clients one on one or in a classroom environment as required.
- Works with clients to develop and maintain current business process maps and documentation.
- Supports benchmarking efforts for T&D, including data collection and validation, data presentation, and evaluation of results.
- Communicates effectively with business peers, IT peers, and vendors to solve business/technical problems and provide appropriate technical solutions.
- Facilitates the interaction between clients and technology providers (internal and external) to implement and maintain reliable solutions.
- Works closely with technical resources and System Administrators as needed to troubleshoot problems or investigate proposed enhancements and determine solutions.
- Coordinates incident reporting and tracking with software vendors.
- Documents problem analysis findings and corrective measures for ongoing support and audit purposes.
- Works with internal and external auditors to validate application controls and compliance.
- Directs work of external resources as assigned.
- Continually increases personal understanding of utility business functions and processes.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned by management.
- Participates on project teams, assisting in requirements definition and process design while also ensuring that testing and training align with the defined requirements and processes to meet business area needs.
- Identifies and defines opportunities and strategies to use information technology to simplify, integrate, and otherwise improve the organization’s business and workflow processes.
- Assists business areas with technology and application strategies and communicates these plans to the technology team.
- Drives creative solutions and helps business areas challenge their own assumptions of how they will successfully execute their plans.
- Assists in the Governance process, coordinating, and facilitating document creation and other elements as needed.
- Provides a point of contact for business area relationships. Establishes effective client relationships by developing trust, integrity, credibility and reliability with each client/business area.
- Gathers requirements from T&D business areas for moderate to complex enhancements and translates those requirements into functional designs used by technical resources to develop solutions.
- Develops, maintains and updates Business Requirements Document (BRD) and/or Functional Specification (as applicable) for communication between the business teams and the technical teams.
- Analyzes, documents and maps “As-Is” business processes. Prepares “To-Be” process maps, fit/gap analysis, change impact analysis, and/or other business process change-related documentation.
- Develops system, integration, and regression test plans. Leads system, integration, and regression testing activities.
- Develops and runs ad hoc query reports as needed to troubleshoot problems, fulfill audit requests, and support other client requests.
- Proactively evaluates application functions and features against business processes to support current and evolving business practices.
- Manages assigned tasks of large projects under the leadership of a Project Manager or Business Lead. Leads small projects, preparing all required documentation for delivery of project objectives, as assigned.
- Provides technical leadership, training, and guidance to less experienced team members and exhibit leadership qualities to department and corporation.
- Leads requirements gathering efforts for package evaluation and complex development projects.
- Leads “As-Is” and “To-Be” business process requirements/optimization sessions with client organizations. Performs business process fit analysis, gap analysis, and change impact analysis. Provides analysis to client leadership for review, approval, and prioritization.
- Leads projects with moderate complexity or sensitive issues, preparing all required documentation for delivery of project objectives, as assigned.
- Leads investigation and analysis of complex operational and organizational, business, and financial problems, issues, and projects.
- Plans multiple project assignments and coordinates priorities with team leads and clients. Works as business lead on large projects under the leadership of the Project Management Office.
- Ensures the optimal fit between a proposed solution with the current information technology infrastructure, application platforms, and the strategic direction of the organization. Focuses on anticipating business needs and optimizing the return on IT investment.
- Represents the business as a Subject Matter Expert for the integration of business processes and technology solutions.
- Minimum qualifications with a focus on Business Analysis / Process Analyst
- Superior analytical, relationship management, facilitation, project management, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to use query tools (e.g., TOAD).
- Ability to develop management-style reporting and presentations (e.g., PowerPoint, Excel).
- Demonstrated ability to work with all levels of management and workforce.
- Project management skills including ability to multitask, prioritize, set and meet deadlines, work independently, and perform tasks with emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrates deep understanding of at least a few business areas and technology used in those areas.
- Successfully engages in multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Bachelor’s Degree or 4 years of experience in a related business area or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 10 years of utility experience in a related business area.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain project budget and stay within budget.
- Demonstrated ability to recommend innovative solutions to support complex business requirements.
- Has the ability to lead large business process initiatives and continuous improvement efforts.
- Provides mentoring and support to other analysts on the team.
- Highly proficient at understanding the needs of clients from a business perspective.
- Can look at business areas from a strategic perspective and recommend forward-thinking solutions.
- Demonstrated leadership and innovative skills.
Come and Join our team!
Alteris Consulting is an entrepreneurial and diverse workforce that provides our team with the autonomy and opportunity to succeed in everything that we do. We cultivate and build to provide our newest graduates and our experienced professionals with the tools and agility our clients look for in the right team. Our leadership at Alteris invests in our employees and provides an opportunity for growth for those who value the same goals and ambitions in aligning with a firm that is dedicated to the spirit of client service. Please send your resume directly to our HR Service team and Come be part of a winning team that wants your career to grow, Follow us!